Ladakh is all bikers dreams and now since YouTube is booming in India and many big & famous YouTubers are using high end bikes that cost lakhs of rupees, many bikers who has a normal bike are confused whether they can use their bike to travel to Ladakh or not.
So, lots of bikers are this simple question – Can I use low powered Bike for Leh
Can I do a trip to Ladakh on a 100cc Bike or Scooty or Scooter?
Yes, definitely you can do your trip on 100cc Bike. You can take any bike whether its 100CC, 125CC, 150CC, 220CC or higher.
Your bike is perfectly fine for Ladakh trip. Everyone cannot afford high end bikes or a adventure bike.
So in this tutorial, I have listed few points that you should take care before starting your trip to Ladakh on a 100CC or above bike.
Limitations of 100CC Bike or Scooty
Bikes with 100CC can travel to Leh Ladakh, but they have some limitations that you should know and respect it.
The limitations of a low powered bike are as follows:-
- It will be tough to climb roads with steep slopes
- Compared to other bikes, your may be little slow
- Your Engine can heat up quickly
- Crossing Water crossing will be tough
- It can be tough to ride on places like Sarchu where the roads are full of sand and dust.
- You bike can easily slip on little black ice
- You will feel that your bike is under powered sometimes.
But above all this problems and difficulties, anyone can ride and complete their trip to Leh Ladakh on their low powered bikes and scooty.
Avoid Over Speeding
OverSpeeding kills, we all know that
And specially in Ladakh, where several bikers have lost their life try to speed up or complete a time challenge.
And since you are using a 100CC or above low powered bike, then you should be more careful as your bike is light weight and the tires are slim and thin. This combination makes your bike more riskier then any other bike like Royal Enfields.
Light weight bikes can go out of control on downhill, water crossing or riskier roads. Over speeding your light weight bike is like inviting accident to yourself.
Don’t try to compete with other bikers or try to ride like them. You should always know that your bike has limitations and overspeeding and meeting with an accident and breaking down your bike in the middle of nowhere will lead you nowhere.
And your trip can come to an end.
So, ride comfortably and at speed that you can control your bike easily.
Use Proper Riding Gears
Riding gears are very important.
I have seen poeple that says its not important and why waste money on those things.
Just to let you know this riding gears will cost you less than the hospital bill or your life cost. The riding gears are useless until you meet an accident.
When you face an accident, its the riding gears that will save your life. When you have a fall from your bike its the jacket that save your chest and stomach, the helmet that save your head, the boots that save your foot, the knee guards that save your knee, the gloves that save your hand from being dragged on the road.
So, riding gears are important and specially when you are riding a 100CC bike or scooty, your chances to meet an accident on Ladakh is a little higher than other bikes.
So, I recommend you to get proper riding gears. I have listed some best and budget friendly riding gears.
- Suitable for all-day rides with 100% Polyester outer shell
- CE Level 1 protection for shoulders, elbows and back
- Cordura denim for added comfort and durability
- Back shock absorbent with EVA foam
- Material: Genuine High Quality Indian PU Faux Leather, Soft & Long Lasting
- Good choice for business, casual and outdoor sport occasions like riding, motorcycling, racer, drive etc.
- Specification : Western wear, Full Sleeve, Slim Fit, Zipper Closure
- Our jackets are crafted with a focus on style and quality. We devote proper time and attention to each piece making sure it's made to perfection.
- This biker style leather motorcycle jacket mens is a modern fit jacket.
- This is a Genuine Yamaha Parts & Accessory.
- Yamaha Riding Jacket
- Color: Blue
- Size: L
- Package Contents: 1 Riding Jacket
- Construction - 600d Polyester Fabric for Durability, and a Black Collar Neoprene for Comfort. Pre-rolled Sleeves to Reduce Fatigue, and a Mesh Construction for Cooling
- Adjustable Armor Pockets, Adjustable Waist and Sleeves for the Perfect Fit
- Safety - Level 2 Ce Certified Elbow & Shoulder Protectors, and a High Density Tpe Back Protector. Modular Back Compartments for Protector Upgrade
- Waterproof Inner Pockets. Separate Storage Compartment to Store Rainwear. Zippered Hand Pockets and Cuff for Ease of Use.
- Waist Connection Zipper to Allow Attachment to a Riding Pant. Suspenders to Hang the Jacket When Not in Use
- Protection Features: Outer Shell - nylon air mesh, 80 percent of the outer shell surface is mesh, providing optimum airflow, Impact Zones: 650D Polyester for abrasion resistance at shoulders and elbows, Impact Protection: CE approved protectors at shoulders and elbows, Back: Shock absorbent EVA foam back protector (Can be upgraded to SasTec CE Level 2 back protector sold separately), Increased Visibility: 3M reflective panels at chest and back, laminated reflective panels on arms make the rider more visible in low light conditions
- Fit: Tour fit, regular
- Personalised Fit: Adjustment tabs at biceps, forearms, cuffs and waist
- 3 Pockets: 2 side pockets, 1 internal pocket
- Cushioned Comfort Collar: Prevents chafing of skin
- Upgraded new knee shin guards - AllExtreme new shin guards use large area lightweight stainless steel, providing a greater degree of protection and comfort for knees and shins during you riding motorbike/motor cross. Attachment Type : Straps, Velcro
- High strength protection - these knee armour moulded from steel knee padded plates to prevent the bump, crash, etc., providing a greater degree of comfort and protection for knees and shins
- Maximum ventilation - new knee and shin pads comes with multiple large vents in plastic shells and foam for maximum comfort and ventilation, eliminating moisture and heat to keep you cool and cosy without delay during the sports
- VERSATILE AND MULTI-PURPOSED – New Shin armor suitable for protecting elbows and knees, like riding Motorbike/Motorcross, Biking & Cycling, MTB, Skiing, Snowboarding, Wakeboarding, Football, Volleyball, Wrestling, Dodgeball, Paintball, Softball, Tactical, Hockey, Weightlifting, Workout, Cross-fit, Skating, Kickboxing, Martial Art, Jujitsu, Hunting and more
- SPECIALLY DESIGNED – Knee shin guards with adjustable elastic quick-release straps for optimum fit and easy removal, closely follows the movement of the knee to deliver the most natural and flexible experience
- Comfortable to wear. Adjustable Strap : No
- Adjustable Velcro closures for secure it.
- Foam backing for comfort and breathe ability.
- Total movement protection system and extreme flexibility.
- Knee/shin center areas are raised for protection while side plastic is softer for a custom fit.
- Total Movement Protection System And Extreme Flexibility.
- Knee Shin Guards With Adjustable Elastic Quick-Release Straps For Optimum Fit And Easy Removal And Closely Follows The Movement Of The Knee To Deliver The Most Natural And Flexible Experiences.
- Comfortable To Wear.
- Suitable For Protecting Elbows And Knees, Like Riding Motorbike/Motorcross, Biking & Cycling
- Total movement protection system and extreme flexibility.
- Knee shin guards with adjustable elastic quick-release straps for optimum fit and easy removal and closely follows the movement of the knee to deliver the most natural and flexible experiences.
- Comfortable to wear.
- Suitable for protecting elbows and knees, like riding Motorbike/Motorcross, Biking & Cycling
- Best Quality And Long Lasting.
- 【Comprehensive Protection】FABSPORTS Protective Gear designed with ABS plastic cover and sponge padding, it provides you with all-round and perfect protection
- 【Strong Buffering Capacity】The whole set of sports protective gear are made of anti-collision materials and built-in thickened breathable soft sponge to perfectly protect your elbows, hands and knees
- 【Adjustable Size-For 10 years+]: Suitable for girls and boys aged 10 years & Above, 55 pounds to 140 pounds kids, teens & youth skating protective Gear.
- 【Multifunctional Protective Gear】The teen knee elbow pads with wrist guards are designed for sports safety protection especially for ice and roller cycling skating, Skateboard Hoverboard, biking, cycling, skating, rolling, etc.
- 【Lightweight and portable 6-piece set】The sports protective gear includes 2 child knee pads, 2 child elbow pads and 2 child wrist pads. It is convenient for children to carry outdoors for sports
- Shin protected against loose, flying objects: CE certified to EN ISO 20345 : 2011 standards
- Shock absorption on the seat region (ie. heel side), Steel toe protection, Highest grade abrasion & water resistant leather, Smooth leather finish including tongue area
- 8â? water resistant, light reflector at the heel side, Ankle twist protection
- Well designed flex points makes walking comfortable, High degree anti slip dual density sole
- Anti- fungal In-socks which keep your feet dry
- Brand : Eego Italy
- Upper Material : Leather, Lining Material : Textile, Sole Material : Rubber
- Closure : Lace Up, Type : Safety
- Toe Shape : Round, Ideal For Men''s
- Premium Brand ::High Qulaity fabric::100% Assurity of fabric as mention in detail::Stylish Footwear For Men
- Upper Material: Synthetic
- Inner Material: Synthetic
- Shoe Width: Medium
- Closure: Lace-Up
- Cushioned footbed.
- Height: 12 inches from ground | Velcro Fastened | Light Reflector above Heel Area | Light Weight Sole providing Good Grip
- Steel Toe Protection | Shin Protection against Abrasion, Impact from Road Debris, Engine Heat | Rubber Insert & EVA Foam around Ankle | Water Resistant Material | Abrasion Resistant Material
- Cushioned in-socks for added comfort | Well designed flex points allows added functionality of Walking/Trekking | Breathable Material provides comfort to the feet even after prolonged hours of use
- Waterproof Long Riding Boots
- Very High Standard of Safety
- Comfortable Design
- Excellent Grip of Sole on Various Terrains
Note: Check our ModifyBullet.com to find the best accessories for bike and riding gears.
So, Can I use low powered Bike for Leh – Yes, you can use low powered Bike for Leh Trip but you should use proper riding gears.
Avoid Heavy luggages
Since you are using a light weight 100CC or above bike or scooty. You should carry only essentials and required luggages.
Don’t load up your bike with lots of luggage like those who ride a bullet. Most bullets are modified bullets those are fitted with luggage systems to carry heavy luggage and the power of the engine is also higher than your bike.
Carrying light luggage will help in the followings:-
- You can ride your bike easily on difficult roads.
- You will not get tired riding long hours.
- Your bike won’t heat up
- You can easily control your bike on off roads.
- It will be easier to cross water crossings
- Your bike will give good mileage.
- You won’t have the risk to meet with an accident.
- Your bike will have very less chances to get broken.
Avoid Riding in Low gears
When you ride your bike on low gears for long periods, the bike engine will get extremely hot and it will put lot of pressure on your bike gears.
A too hot engine will either stop working on on rare cases it can catch fire. Something like the above image.
If you are riding on a tough stretch where you need to ride the bike on low gears as your bike won’t pullup, then its recommended to make a stop for few minutes after every 4km to 5km.
This will cool down your engine so you don’t face any problem, as this will be the last thing that you will face if your bikes stop and refuses to start or the gear lever gets broken.
In normal cases a heated up engine will not end your trip, you just need to stop and let the engine cool down. But in rare cases, if your gear lever breaks down due to heat, then your trip is over.
Service your Bike
Before starting your trip to Ladakh, you must get your bike completely serviced. You should take special care of this parts while servicing your bike.
- Engine oil.
- Chain Lubricants.
- Condition of the chain.
- Condition of the Tyres & tubes.
- Change Brake pads.
- Check the clutch and front brake cables.
- Ask to check the gear levers and their condition.
- Change the accelerator cable.
This things are essential to check or change while you are servicing your bike for your leh ladakh trip.
Carry Spare Parts
You must always carry essential spare parts for your bike, as you won’t know when any parts get broken and you need to replace it.
There are few shops that repairs bike and have parts for bikes but its not necessary that they will have that parts for your bike.
So, the minimum spare parts that you should carry are:-
- Clutch cable
- Accelerator Cable
- Headlight bulbs
- Spark plug
- Brake Cables
- Fevi Quick & Elfy
- Engine oil
- Engine Coolant
- Punture Repair kit
- Tyre inflator
BIke punture repair kit
- 1. Multifunctional : - All in one kit is perfect to repair puncture for bikes, cars, vans, etc. Premium quality products that serve long life.
- 2. Everything in the bag: - Bag contains everything that is required to repair puncture. From strip cutter to nose plier and gloves. Everything in one kit.
- 3. Easy to use: - Not everyone is a professional, keeping that in mind this kit is designed for everyone. You can repair puncture for your vehicle of your own without any help. A must have kit when you are on your long routes.
- 4. Easy to carry: - A durable nylon bag that makes it super convenient to store your tools. No more messy trunk. A small bag that is designed especially for transportation and bikers.
- 5. Package Includes: - Reamer, Probe, Puncture repair strips, Cutter, Nose plier, Chalk, Tyre Valve, Valve cap and gloves.
- 19pcs Bicycle puncture repair kit consists of 1. 7" long tyre removing levers- 2nos. . 2. Schrader valve remover key tool- 1pc. 3. OMNI puncture patches 1" dia- 10nos. 4. Pasting solution- 2nos. (10ml each). 5. Tyre patches 2" dia - 2nos. 6. Emery paper 2" x 2" - 2nos
- The product is a perfect choice for you
- The product comes in proper packaging
Bike Air Pump
- Portable Mini-Air Compressor measures only 4.5"x 1.5" x 3.5" making it possible to be carried on virtually any motorcycle, scooter or ATV
- Built in gauge allows you to observe the increased pressure with a reading up to 80 psi
- This unit has the ability to inflate sport balls & camping equipment;
- Includes 36 inch lighter adapter, 12 inch alligator clips, sports needle adapter and complete instructions
- With 2 Year Brand Warranty
- With dimensions of 18.5x17.4x7.4 cm, it is easily portable and saves car space
- Fast refill with a filling time of ~5 minutes
- Works on 12V power supply, readily available in the car’s cigarette power outlet
- Electric wire of length 265 cm and 62 cm long hose for convenient refilling
- LED bulb to facilitate usage in the dark
- RB INTERNATIONAL Package Included: 1 X Foot Pump
- RB INTERNATIONAL Lightweight Portable- With the great performance, it's convenient for you to carry around, completely get rid of flat tire even outdoors.
- RB INTERNATIONAL High-quality Material- With sturdy aluminium alloy tube, firm plastic base and durable pump head, provides you with lasting use.
- RB INTERNATIONAL Quick release thumb lock valve. Comes with free special adapters for bicycles and inflatable toys
- RB INTERNATIONAL Trustworthy Performance- With a reasonably accurate gauge, provides you a guideline to detect the air pressure, avoid insufficient air or puncture.
Pillion Rider & Luggage
As I have mentioned earlier that you should carry light weight luggages and on only the essentials.
If you are riding with a pillion rider than the challenge is greater as now the bike needs to pull the weight of itself + You + Pillion Rider + Luggages.
The bike can pull all the weight but their will be some places where you need to as your pillion rider to get off the bike and walk on foot.
The places where you bike will face difficulty will be the water crossing, off roads and steep climbs.
Normally the bike is capable of easily pulling everything. The rider need to be an expert and totally understand how to control the bike and which gears to use and when.
Be Careful while water crossing
It seems easy right….
No, don’t underestimate it. It just looks easy. The water is very cold..Its freezing and the temperature is also like 3 degree celcius.
So even a little water can make you fall in deep problem.
The water crossing have rocky beds, means that the floor of the water crossing is full of stones and all the stones are uneven.
So riding the bike on the uneven stones is very difficult as the tyres slips and sometimes the rocks moves from their position. A light weight bike will face higher problem while water crossing.
And if you have a pillion rider then its always better to ask them to get off the bike and cross the water crossing on foot while you take the bike across the water.
So I hope by now you have the answer to – Can I use low powered Bike for Leh Ladakh
If you are not aware of how to book your expedition for Ladakh, Click here to book Manali to Leh & Nubra Trip
So have you visited Ladakh, Yes or No. Comment it below.
Last update on 2021-10-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API